Repealing Net Neutrality: What Would the Internet Look and Feel Like?

Manahil Wajid, Reporter

Whenever you go online you have certain expectations. You expect to be connected to whatever website you want. You expect that your cable and phone company aren’t interfering with the content you choose to use, and you are connected to all the websites, applications, and content you prefer. You expect to be in control of your internet experience. What would be like if the internet is no longer free and open to sharing and researching? When you use the internet, you expect Net Neutrality.

Before going into further detail on this topic, it is important to know what net neutrality is. It is the basic principle that states that internet service providers should enable access to all content and applications regardless of the source, and without favoring or blocking particular websites or product. Net neutrality is the way the internet has always worked, and changing it may break the foundation of the web and would ultimately limit our sources. For years people have been in favor of net neutrality, and in 2015 millions of activists worked hard to convince the Federal Communications Commission to adopt Net Neutrality rules and stop from repealing it. But right now, 2 years later this win is in jeopardy as Ajit Pai the FCC chairman is working to repeal the net neutrality rules that have controlled the internet since the start.

What is all of this exactly?

The Federal Communications Commission unveiled a plan that would give internet providers broad power to determine what websites and online services their customers see and use. Under this proposal, providers of high-speed internet services such as Comcast, Verizon, and AT&T would be able to block particular websites and charge web companies for speedier delivery of their content. The net neutrality regulation that was passed by the agency’s Democrats in 2015 which attempted to make sure that all web content would be treated equally by internet service providers would be revoked.

What would it lead to?

Net Inequality:

The end of net neutrality will spawn the beginning of net inequality. Internet or broadband providers, that sometimes also offer cable TV will be able to charge money for faster internet. These providers could also selectively pick which companies should get access to high-speed internet, and the amount of money that should be paid by the customers. This could be a devastating loss for the streaming industries.

Less Innovation:

When the net neutrality rules go, the internet will still work and still be used, but it will look and feel like something completely and indubitably different altogether. It would be a network of business development deals rather than research, knowledge, something reliable and innovative ideas. It would determine what you use and experience, it would be more like cable rather than the technological phenomenon that we now call the internet and web.

Small Businesses Would Suffer:

Net neutrality has created a low barrier to entry to the internet. Removing or repealing it could increase that barrier, which could be a major downgrade for smaller businesses. As without net neutrality Internet Service Providers or ISPs can control internet streaming speed.

If the decision to repeal net neutrality is finalized it would be devastating, as this was never the way the internet was supposed to go. Repealing net neutrality would turn the internet whose sole promise and purpose is endless innovation into the tender mercy of Internet Service Providers and stronger corporations. The internet which is at its biggest technological level was designed to avoid the pivotal points of control that are now starting to command it.

The sole reason that the internet is so widely used and is innovative than the other centralized networks that came before it is because it is equal, and ISPs and communications networks can’t gain power it but repealing the net equality rules might hinder this.

It is an evident fact that the internet’s singular power is its flexibility. With its dazzling array of new uses and ideas, easy sharing, availability a network that connects you anywhere and to anyone. The net neutrality repeal would destroy all of this within minutes thus giving power to the providers on what you share, use and experience. Moreover; as stated multiple times in this article, no net neutrality would cause the internet to become a pay-to-play technology and believe me when I say this, none of us want that. Why? Because this could limit our freedom of using the internet.
Which is why it is up to us to do something. It is said: “Awareness is the greatest agent for change.” When people know about this repeal and its drawbacks, they could work together to change this because if they know and are aware on how this would completely change the whole outlook and use of the internet, and change it into a gateway of power; they would be motivated to stop this. People need to be aware of this as to stop this, we require a public outcry.

We may not know how fast the internet will change, but it is evident that it would certainly change if net neutrality is mothballed. Whether we notice it at first or not.

1 Comment

One Response to “Repealing Net Neutrality: What Would the Internet Look and Feel Like?”

1. Tyler Weber on December 14th, 2017 6:46 am

Great article would like to hear more about the topic!

[Reply]

• Repealing Net Neutrality:  What Would the Internet Look and Feel Like?

ASL

ASLebration

Campus Events

Junior Take Over 2018

Campus Events

#walkupnotout

News

Grade Corruption?

News

Preparing for the FSA