The Worst of Its Kind

Matthew McGovern, Editor

“The Worst of Its Kind” 

Hurricane Michael is now a category 4 hurricane and has been looming in the Gulf of Mexico for the past week. Now, it threatens to slam into the Florida panhandle. Any hurricane presents significant danger to those that are in the impact zone, but Michael has an almost certain, catastrophic set of qualities. 

Storm Surge 

Any storm that comes from within the Gulf of Mexico has the tendency to churn the waters to an extremely unsafe point. The storm surge for this particular hurricane is expected to be at or near 14 feet, which is life-threatening. The Florida panhandle has never experienced storm urge anywhere near this before. 

Wind Speeds 

Winds of 60 miles per hour are enough to sweep the feet out from under a grown adult. Now try to picture wind speeds of 145 miles per hour, and possibly more. These terribly high winds have the potential to make any non-secured item into a projectile, having the potential to seriously injure, or whoever is in its path. These winds also hold the likelihood of destroying countless amounts of structures, of which a significant amount of people have decided to seek shelter in during the storm.  

Rain 

While 2-5 inches of rain may occur on a normal basis within Florida, those extra few inches could prove to be a catastrophe for the homes and buildings owned by the citizens of the Florida Panhandle, and beyond. A possible 14-foot storm surge in certain coastal areas could be made monumentally worse by any additional water that may swallow whatever is in its path.  

This deadly trio of possible consequences of this storm will certainly prove to be a new, and unpleasant experience for residents of the Florida panhandle, and beyond. The storm is on a path to plow through Southwest Georgia and through the Carolinas. Though it will almost definitely be a category 1 hurricane, or a tropical storm by then, it will still prove to a have a significant impact on this region. Higher elevation, the foothills of the Blue Ridge and the Smoky Mountains, may have mudslides, and uprooted trees affect the citizens of the region, and this storm will wind up having a very extensive path of destruction. For these reasons, and possibly more, Hurricane Michael has the potential to be one of the worst storms that the United States has seen in a very long time.