Paul Allen – A Man To Remember  

Alexandria Watson, Reporter

On Monday, October 15th, 2018, the co-founder of Microsoft, Paul Allen, passed away. His cause of death was Lymphoma, cancer of the lymphatic system. The cancer had gone into remission but recently made a comeback earlier this month. He played a vital role in the advancement of computers and computer programs, and without him, I personally don’t think our technology would be where it is now. So, it’s important that we look back over his life and see the achievements he had.

Paul Allen was born on January 21, 1953 in Seattle, Washington. When he was 14 years old, he met his future business partner Bill Gates. Throughout his childhood, he enjoyed music and tinkering with computers. He became a college dropout with Gates after they decided to found Microsoft and go down that path. In 1975, Paul Allen helped to co-found Microsoft. He was there for around 8 years and worked alongside his childhood friend Gates. But, he left the company in 1983 after being diagnosed with Hodgkin’s disease. After leaving Microsoft he went on to focus on many other projects. He set up a company named Vulcan Ventures and invested in a variety of things. His investments ranged from SureFind to Starwave, among other things. He also invested in more well-known companies such as DreamWorks and Ticketmaster.

Aside from technology, Allen spent his time and money on his other interests, such as sports and music. He owned the Portland Trailblazers and the Seattle Seahawks. He also had an interactive rock ’n’ roll museum built in Seattle, which opened on June 23, 2000. However, when he wasn’t funding projects or owning sports teams, he played in a band called Grown Men.

He did many other things as well, whether it be artificial intelligence or giant telescopes, Paul Allen was most likely behind it. His impact reached far beyond Microsoft and spread into so many different areas. He’s used his large sum of money for many great things as well. He’s donated to many different charities and he even pledged $100 million to the fight against Ebola in 2014.

Overall, Paul Allen lived an amazing life. He used his time here to contribute to good causes and he helped to advance one of the most important fields today. His footprint will never disappear and his contribution to the many different fields will always be remembered and appreciated.