Working Hard Isn’t Enough

Cassidy Middleton and Kamryn Booker

From a very young age, we are taught how to follow rules and how to succeed. We are dispersed by the levels of maturity and skill sets before we are even capable of mental comprehension. We are held accountable to reach impossibly high standards starting our first year of school. We are given guidelines to follow, goals to reach, and expectations to meet to make it in our society and fit in. From all the past generations, the standards from then to now have drastically changed and our parents and grandparents have very little to no understanding of the fact that succeeding now is a lot more challenging.

In the past, our parents and grandparents were not required to have a high school diploma in order to have a good, high paying job. Now, you can’t get a job, other than manual labor or fast food, without at least a high school diploma or bachelor’s degree. Statistics show that high school now is harder than it was in the past. Students now take more difficult classes and push themselves to break the scale. According to business insider, only 5% of students in 1990 were taking rigorous classes compared to about 2.1 million students taking harder courses as of 2017. Students now try to fit in as “well rounded” students by spreading themselves so thin and doing as much as possible just to stand out to get accepted into college.

The expectations that are required of young people just starting out in the world are now set to high standards which have been changed and shifted over the years. Although the workforce that our parents and grandparents entered into compared to the workforce that young people are entering into now have not changed as much. Today, students entering out of college have been told their paths of success: Go to school, get your degree, get a job and make money. Sounds so simple and promising, however, what they don’t tell you is really how hard and exhausting that process is. A lot of past generations feel that Millennials are lazy and entitled, that their parents have worked harder than they have, however, this isn’t the case. Young people work so hard spending a lot of time and money on their education, and once again it’s still not enough. After the battle of schooling for so many years, they are now faced with the battle of job searching. The parents and grandparents of the younger generation hold high positioned jobs that they received with a probability of a lower education degree than most of what students are required at a minimal to have in recent times. It’s now in our society that we are required to have high-level educations just to even qualify to get a job, but people who came before us didn’t have to have nearly as much experience as we do today and are still successful in today’s society.

As two teens experiencing high school first hand and as students who are taking challenging courses we understand how difficult it is to meet the expectations of society. We work so hard and parents come home and think that high school is not that different, trying to relate our experience to their experience. In this life, everyone is always fighting to be accepted, and always working harder to be better than the next person and always trying to stand out just a little bit more. The bar is set so high for this generation and it’s unfair that it’s harder now than it’s ever been, and from here on out, it’s going to be more challenging.