Meet our new Varsity Basketball Coach: Coach Grossenbach

Back to Article
Back to Article

Lauren Stallworth, Editor

We would like to give a big welcome to CCHS’s new Varsity Basketball coach, Coach Matt Grossenbach! We are very excited to have him join our Coyote family, and can’t wait to see his hopes and goals for the team pan out. I got the opportunity to sit down with Coach Grossenbach, and learned all about him and his enthusiasm for the team. Here are some of his responses to help our students and athletes get to know him better. Welcome again, Coach Grossenbach!

Q: Tell me about yourself?:

A: “So this will be my sixth year coaching basketball, three years coaching high school as an assistant, two years coaching as head coach, and one year as a graduate assistant in a division 1 program at The Citadel in Charleston, South Carolina. So it’ll actually be my seventh year coming up.”

Q: Did you play basketball in high school or college?:

A:” I did. Four years in high school at Academy at the Lakes down the road. I was the first thousand-point scorer there. I had a few college offers, division 3 stuff, no scholarship offers though. So, I went the normal route, and I went to the University of Florida as a normal student. I had a good time, I was there three years, graduated in three years, and ended back up in the Tampa area.”

Q: Do you have a favorite basketball team/player?:

A: ”Growing up, I think my favorite player was Tracy Mcgrady, a Florida guy actually. He went to Auburndale High School and then played with The Magic for a while”.

Q: What are your hopes and goals for the upcoming season?:

A: “The goal is to improve on what we had last year; so just trying to always improve a little bit, as far as wins, but also having a higher GPA for our kids, or if we have any kids that have the goal of playing college basketball, maybe that’s something we can reach. That’s always tough in year one, but obviously, that’s the goal we’ll set and we’ll try to get there. “

Q: Do you have a coaching philosophy/style?:

A:” I do. It always changes based on the personnel you have, and obviously, in high school, you don’t recruit for a specific style, so you kinda have to go with the players you have. But what I like to do which is a non-negotiable thing is defending hard, playing hard, and I like to play an exciting offense; shooting a lot of 3’s, nothing too structured, just giving the guys the good principles to have a free-flowing offense and doing what they want to do and being creative on their own.”

Q: What are you most excited about being here at CCMHS?:

A: “The first thing that sticks out to me is just how beautiful the facilities are and the campus. And it’s also brand new and really well taken care of, so that’s a big deal for me and having all that. Just being able to do something with such awesome facilities.”

Q: If a student is thinking about joining the basketball team, what would you say to them and what advice would you give them?

A: ”Yeah, go for it! And if you’ve got questions about what you should be doing to improve, ask me. I’m always open to giving advice for anyone who wants to pursue Basketball.”

Q: If you had to tell your players one thing about you, what would it be?

A: “I’m going to push you, but you’re going to get better for it. It’s not going to be easy, but it will be fun, and you will be a better basketball player and a better person.

Q: What is your favorite position to play in Basketball and why?:

A:” I like the versatility of The Wing player, you don’t have to necessarily have the responsibility of bringing the ball up, and sometimes they’re a great shooter, sometimes they’re a great slasher, and sometimes they’re a little bit of both. Sometimes even a great rebounder. You can be any height for that position too, it really doesn’t matter. It’s just such a versatile position and it’s one that I enjoy playing, and I think my players enjoy playing as well. “

When I asked Coach Grossenbach if there was anything he wanted to add, I think his final statement definitely wrapped up how he feels about his new job…

“I’m just really excited for this, and I can’t wait to get things started and things rolling, and hopefully find some quick success!”