How will things be different this school year?

Elijah Coley, Reporter

COVID-19. The pandemic that rose quickly and affected everyone greatly, especially our school system. Students were given three different options for going back to school. Traditionally, where students would return to school physically and attend face-to-face classes. This option comes with many different changes from having to wear masks in class and around campus to different seating options at lunchtime. MySchool Online where students attend classes virtually at home through different mediums, such as MyLearning or Zoom while also following the school bell schedule. Teachers decide whether these students attend class through Zoom or only complete assignments strictly through MyLearning. The final option is Pasco eSchool where students can work on classes they choose at any time that works for them.

Mrs. Adley
Q: What are your classes going to look like this year?
A: All of my five classes are currently running under the hybrid model. I have a group of students that tune in every day via zoom. My students who are attending school are spread out, which could potentially limit the amount of collaboration I am used to.
Q: What should students expect differently?
A: Students should expect to not be working closely with their friends. They will be responsible for more independent work and be prepared to participate in more class discussions to ensure these concepts are being met. Students also need to come to school with a lot of patience. This is new for everyone and we need to work together to ensure our standards are met.
Q: What are you doing differently in class?
A: The only difference this year is that students are spread out around the room and that we have students attending class virtually. I will not be able to do as many group projects that I am accustomed to doing, but we will be trying some new virtual formats to ensure students still get to work with their friends. For my students who attend class virtually, they do not have the ability to handwrite their timed essays, so they will want to practice this skill on their own to ensure they are ready for the AP exam.
Q: What were you concerned about when going into this school year?
A: From the beginning, I was always excited to come back to work. My concern was more along the lines of us going back and forth between in-person vs. online. I personally didn’t enjoy teaching virtually fourth quarter, I didn’t think I was as effective as I could have been. I love the daily interactions with my students, so I was worried that students might not have followed the safety procedures to ensure we get to stay in school. I was happy to see after this first week all our students following the rules and having their masks on appropriately.
Q: What are your concerns for the school year going forward?
A: I am concerned about what flu season will bring since symptoms can be similar for COVID-19. I am just hoping we make it through the year because I truly want my seniors to experience the best.

Ms. Watts
A: My classes currently are entirely online. We meet via zoom and discuss our lessons. We spend time breaking down concepts and asking questions about the material, as well as working in small groups or with me one-on-one.
A: With this new platform, it allows for more independence and ownership of the work. It also allows students to easily work at their own pace if they need a little more time on things. Also, we have more time for conferencing in the “classroom,” so more of that will be happening for sure.
A: We have all new texts and projects this year. It will be fun to go through some skills we often do not get a chance to cover in-depth and that are beneficial. Besides a new curriculum, I will be doing increased check-ins with students, as I do not get to see them face-to-face.
A: Safety of staff and students. With all of the health concerns, I worried about what teaching would look like and how we would be able to accommodate everyone’s needs.
A: With such a fluid situation, I wonder what our day will look like every day. I worry if we will flip and close like we did last year for a while. I am always concerned with the unknown, so it is safe to say this situation keeps me up thinking often.

Ms. Passardi
A: Busy! All of my classes are hybrid, so I will be going back and forth between the computer and the in-person kids. I want to make sure the online kids do not feel like they are not part of the class and just watching. Communication will be better- I have kids at home and in-person who will both be creating the yearbook together. Physically, we are adding upgrades to our room. Kids will utilize Zoom to screen share with at home kids to complete yearbook spreads. More technology integration than we already were using.
A: Socializing to a degree, to extend more grace to their teachers and peers, different school protocols- including walking in and out certain doors and maintaining 6ft. maybe in some classes hands-on projects declining.
A: Outside of safety and health protocols from the school, not much. Integrating even more technology for all the kids to work together.
A: Chaos! Lol. Policing masks and how this would all work.
A: After coming back, I don’t have any other than hopefully, everyone stays healthy

Mrs. Lloyd
A: Classes look very different this year. Smaller class sizes, students spread out, everyone wearing masks.
A: Choosing the “traditional” option for school doesn’t mean we’re returning to “normal” Students are required to follow safety protocols. If students do not follow safety procedures they will be moved to My School online.
A: Seating charts – usually I let the student pick. Group/partner work – I usually let students pick groups but due to contact tracing that is impossible. I have changed several lessons to be independent rather than as a group. I am using Canvas a great deal more this year than before. All assignments are submitted digitally.
A: Being in contact with a large number of people. I spent the summer at my house, only leaving to go grocery shopping. I have family members that are dependents so I take social distancing very seriously. I was greatly concerned about the number of students in each class. I usually have classes that have 25-30 students per period. I knew I couldn’t ensure social distancing with that amount of students.
A: That we will never be able to go back to “normal”