Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Valentin Jason-Camilo, Reporter

Many people do not know what the month of October is about and why it is so important. It is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and to understand the significance of the month, we must have a basic understanding of the disease and what makes it so dangerous. Breast Cancer is a disease in which the cells in the breast are abnormal. There are many different types of breast cancer, and it can begin in different places of the breast, as the breast is made of many parts. The most common area breast cancer starts from are the ducts, or lobules, and can be very dangerous as it can spread through the blood vessels. There are two main kinds of breast cancer which both are very invasive: Ductal Carcinoma and Invasive Lobular Carcinoma. Invasive Ductal Carcinoma grows outside the ducts and into other parts of the breast tissue. Invasive Lobular Carcinoma spreads from the lobules to the breast tissues that are close by. The difference between these two types of cancer is in where they originate, and the parts that they infect after. Believe it or not, Breast cancer is the second most common cancer among women in the United States. Statistics from the CDC have shown that for every 100,000 people about 125 females are affected by breast cancer. Out of these 125 females, 19 of them will die, making it the second-highest killing cancer. There are many ways to treat breast cancer, and it may depend on the type. Surgery, Chemotherapy, Hormonal Therapy, Biological therapy, and Radiation therapy are some of the ways to treat it.

Knowing how Breast Cancer works and how dangerous it can be, adds a new significance to the month of October. Breast Cancer Awareness Month is in October, and many foundations do campaigns to increase awareness of the disease. Breast Cancer Awareness Month is not mentioned frequently enough and is addressed less than other diseases. This isn’t good – cancer is a thing that should be taken more seriously, and the fight to end it publicized more. Many students in our community do not know much about how the disease works, or that it is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and that is something I want to change. With an increased focus on awareness and education, we can help generate support for this disease, and ways to prevent It.

Resources

Breast Cancer Awareness Month in the time of COVID-19

https://www.cdc.gov/cancer/breast/index.htm
https://www.nationalbreastcancer.org/breast-cancer-awareness-month