Get to know your Band Director, Josh Hollenback

Background: I have a Bachelors in Music Education and a Certificate in Music Performance from Florida State University and a Masters in Music Performance from the University of South Florida.  At FSU I was a member of the Marching Chiefs, Jazz Bands, and Concert Bands.

At USF I sat principal in the Wind Ensemble and Jazz Bands. I also arranged a lot of the music the USF Marching Band plays at their football games.

Instruments: I play saxophone, flute, and clarinet.  I have also worked as a professional musician playing for orchestras, jazz ensembles, Broadway tours of Chicago and Wicked, and various cruise lines (Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and Celebrity) visiting more than 20 countries.

Favorite Bands/Composers: I have always loved jazz.  Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Carlie Parker, John Coltrane, Paul Desmond and may others.  Growing up, in school bands I learned to love the wind band “classics:” works by Holst, Granger, Mackey, Williams, and others.

I also enjoy contemporary artists like Dave Matthews, Chicago, John Mayer, Ray Charles, Snarky Puppy, Earth Wind and Fire, and lots of others.

Future of the CCMHS Program: I couldn’t be more excited to build this program with all the incoming students and families!

I see a thriving program that will meet the needs of our school, community, and students. I hope to provide students with a large and exciting marching band, comprehensive concert bands, jazz band, small ensembles, private lessons, and guard program. We have a chance to really make this program our own and do new and exciting things at Cypress Creek.

My biggest piece of advice to new students is be willing to see the positives and the opportunities. If we all enter this program with an open mind, positive attitude, and a willingness to help each other, anything is possible!