Your award-winning Howler Yearbook will arrive Thursday. Yearbook distribution day will be the following week - stay tuned.
The Student News Site of Cypress Creek High School

• Freshman and the Future of the Education System: Classroom Respect And Structure

Coyote Voices

Freshman and the Future of the Education System: Classroom Respect And Structure

• Reach for the stars. All of the girls lacrosse players lift their stick towards the sky as their routine before every game to break off the huddle. After they dispersed, the starting players went onto the field and played against Berkely Preparatory School.

Creek Runs Deep

The Return Of Women’s Lacrosse

• A Students Journey of Adaptation and Growth

Coyote Voices

A Student’s Journey of Adaptation and Growth

• The blue hue creates a winter compliment as the CCHS dancers express themselves during the winter showcase at the IPAC.

Conservatory of the Arts

Winter Showcase is “Fire on Fire”

• The glare of the window frames the future for seniors Jacob Valdes, Jhonathan Arias-Aranguibel, David Caine and Lilly Wine as they prepare for their final month on the campus of Cypress Creek High School.

Creek Culture

A Senior’s Achilles Heel

• Standing, thumbs up, and eager to please, freshman Delaney Diehl, freshman McKenzie Deloach, freshman Kaden Fletcher, freshman Noah Rutherford, freshman Isaiah Rivera, and freshman Mia DeVane show their fresh faces and share their fierce opinions. “I would like to see, on our campus, access to culinary arts and woodworking classes,” said DeVane.

Coyote Voices

Freshman and the Future of the Education System

• Students in the Spanish 2 class own their education by coming together as a community to do their assignment.

Creek Culture

Navigating the CCHS Spanish Program Without a Permanent Teacher

• After a long night, the senior players, cheerleaders, and coaches celebrate by hoisting the Powder Puff trophy.

Creek Runs Deep

Powder Puff: The Battle of the Grades

• Senior Gavin Exum rehearsing his visuals as “The Pharoah” for their running competition piece “Immortal.”

Conservatory of the Arts

The Pharoah Rises Again

• The choreographers line up, ready for their press conference.
Left to right: Dance Instructor Zoe Dorony, senior Natalie Moore, senior Faith McCurdy, junior Issay Eyobel, junior Monica Perez, junior Danielle Liberatore, and junior Eugenia Acevedo

Conservatory of the Arts

Behind the Curtain: A Choreographer’s Press Conference

The Band of Coyotes: Mirrorball

BAND OF COYOTES MAKE A POINT. The stars were aligning as senior Drum Major Javier Quiles leads the Band of Coyotes onto the field during the first home football game. Quiles and his fellow bandmates, marched, played and entertained the home crowd. “The energy was super weird, just because I knew it was my last first game,” said Quiles. (Lilly Manning)

Marching onto the field, the Band of Coyotes are back with their sixth marching show, The Mirrorball.  The show movements, “Hard Times” and “Mirrorball” set, with the third movement, “Therefore I Am”, being finished recently. Rehearsals started in July, with three weeks of band camp before the school year started, and weekly rehearsals on Wednesday for the full band, with the color guard having an additional practice every Tuesday. These rehearsals are what perfect and excel the performances seen and scored by an audience and judging.  

Football games are a huge part of band every year, and this year was no exception. One of the firsts for the year was their game on September 1st, and senior drum major Javier Quiles said, “The energy was super weird, just because I knew it was my last first game, it’s also been way more energetic, especially up in the woodwinds this year.” The band rehearses before the games. Repping and relaying Mirrorball and basics all while preparing their pregame show; which includes the Fight Song, the Alma Mater, and the Star-Spangled Banner, followed by a halftime show after the second quarter ends. In construct to her halftime show, woodwind captain, senior, and the soprano saxophone soloist during second movement said, “I like to sit in silence, really, because if I listen to loud music or like hype music or something it freaks me out. So, I like quiet, to stand by myself before we go out on the field. I go, I give my boyfriend a hug before we perform, and then I just don’t say another word until after. I just keep to myself and keep everything in mind.”  

The first movement, “Hard Times” by Paramore begins to set up the themes of the show, being a mask one puts on around others. Katherine Strok-Feeley, the Cypress Creek High School band director said, “I was thinking and I finally settled upon ‘Hard Times’ by Paramore, because that entire album that we pulled that from, which is ‘After Laughter’ is literally all about that concept of having a mask on and pretending to be happy when, you know, on the inside, you’re not doing so hot.” The movement was the first to be set, including fun and bombastic music with visuals throughout. 

Taylor Swift’s Mirrorball was the was the highlight of the second movement with featured senior Sydney Rucys, soloing on the soprano saxophone, as well as Georgina Horton from color guard with a dance solo in the beginning; represents the idea of losing yourself, breaking apart, and having to pick up the pieces. When asked about her feelings on the movement, soloist Sydney Rucys said “At first I was really scared of it, especially when we read it for the first time. But now, after however many months of practice with it, I feel very confident in myself and my abilities, and I think it’s one of my favorite movements we’ve played.” The piece itself is a ballad, it’s emotional and slow and features not only “Mirrorball”, but also melodies from Swift’s “Exile” and “You’re Losing Me”. This was the first piece made for the show, and the whole idea for the marching show started with this movement.  

The idea for the movement came from a Long Pond Studios interview Taylor Swift did with her producer, Jack Antonoff in 2020, with Mrs. Strok-Feeley stating “I literally based the whole show off of that singular interview, and I wanted it to be all about being a different person in public versus being a different person in private, and how artists and musicians have to have this sort of persona when they perform, when they, you know, are different people at home, and that really resonated with me as a writer and also as a director.”  

The third movement is set to “Therefore I Am” by Billie Eilish. Strok-Feeley explained, “Therefore I Am’ is symbolic of taking the mirrorball and shattering it, and shattering everybody’s expectations of this band, of ourselves, and of society. Because the mirrorball as a whole is a representation of what society thinks of us, and fitting in all of those like niche little holes that we have to fit in as people.” The third movement is fiery and intense, and represents the shattering of the mask, taking back your power, and not caring about others’ opinions and expectations. When discussing his feelings on the third movement, senior drum major Javier Quiles said “I’ve always loved movement three, and I still love it. The swing is very fun, and I love all of the crazy runs that the woodwinds, and especially the pit percussion have. It’s just very bombastic. I like it, and it’s awesome still to me to me to this day.” The movement has many unique riffs and melodies to stand out from the original, bringing energy and fire to a more laid-back song.