Your award-winning Howler Yearbook will arrive Thursday. Yearbook distribution day will be the following week - stay tuned.
The Student News Site of Cypress Creek High School

• Freshman and the Future of the Education System: Classroom Respect And Structure

Coyote Voices

Freshman and the Future of the Education System: Classroom Respect And Structure

• Reach for the stars. All of the girls lacrosse players lift their stick towards the sky as their routine before every game to break off the huddle. After they dispersed, the starting players went onto the field and played against Berkely Preparatory School.

Creek Runs Deep

The Return Of Women’s Lacrosse

• A Students Journey of Adaptation and Growth

Coyote Voices

A Student’s Journey of Adaptation and Growth

• The blue hue creates a winter compliment as the CCHS dancers express themselves during the winter showcase at the IPAC.

Conservatory of the Arts

Winter Showcase is “Fire on Fire”

• The glare of the window frames the future for seniors Jacob Valdes, Jhonathan Arias-Aranguibel, David Caine and Lilly Wine as they prepare for their final month on the campus of Cypress Creek High School.

Creek Culture

A Senior’s Achilles Heel

• Standing, thumbs up, and eager to please, freshman Delaney Diehl, freshman McKenzie Deloach, freshman Kaden Fletcher, freshman Noah Rutherford, freshman Isaiah Rivera, and freshman Mia DeVane show their fresh faces and share their fierce opinions. “I would like to see, on our campus, access to culinary arts and woodworking classes,” said DeVane.

Coyote Voices

Freshman and the Future of the Education System

• Students in the Spanish 2 class own their education by coming together as a community to do their assignment.

Creek Culture

Navigating the CCHS Spanish Program Without a Permanent Teacher

• After a long night, the senior players, cheerleaders, and coaches celebrate by hoisting the Powder Puff trophy.

Creek Runs Deep

Powder Puff: The Battle of the Grades

• Senior Gavin Exum rehearsing his visuals as “The Pharoah” for their running competition piece “Immortal.”

Conservatory of the Arts

The Pharoah Rises Again

• The choreographers line up, ready for their press conference.
Left to right: Dance Instructor Zoe Dorony, senior Natalie Moore, senior Faith McCurdy, junior Issay Eyobel, junior Monica Perez, junior Danielle Liberatore, and junior Eugenia Acevedo

Conservatory of the Arts

Behind the Curtain: A Choreographer’s Press Conference

A Mile in Their Shoes

You may have seen those shots of cross-country athletes running. Maybe you’ve been to a cross-country meet yourself and you’ve seen in person how fast these athletes run. Do you ever wonder what motivates them to keep up the pace? 

Junior Alexander Carter said, “It’s from the coaching…with Coach Rehberg, a lot of what she does for workouts are very beneficial for us.” 

Carter then went on to state the exact reason he is motivated to run during meets. “It (cross-country) makes me feel successful…it’s very rewarding to do the sport.”

“In the end, it’s very rewarding and beneficial for you and in the long run, it just works out more in your favor if you stick with it,” Carter finished. This shows that cross-country is a sport that requires an intense amount of effort but most importantly, perseverance. Cross-country is one of those sports that will help a person grow and strengthen that perseverance. 

After being asked how cross-country athletes prepare for any upcoming meets, Senior Carlie Ortiz stated, “Treating practices like they are a meet, not just being there to say, ‘I went,’ but actually putting in your full effort.” Ortiz elaborated on this, sharing that slacking off is not an option for her in this sport. 

When asked how she felt when she discovered that she was the top of the cross-country team, Ortiz said, “I felt very proud of myself…and not just because you’re the fastest on the team…you shouldn’t just…slack off. You should use that as more…motivation to go faster.” Sometimes, when a person is told that they are the best at something, they will want to take it easy and stop putting in the effort because they believe that since they are the best, they have no reason to work as hard. Ortiz disagrees with this, stating that her being the best is her motivation to go faster and work harder. 

The head girl’s cross-country coach, Elsie Rehberg, was spoken to as well. The sport of cross-country is unique in the sense that coaches will actually run and train alongside their athletes during conditioning. When asked to share some words on this topic, Coach Rehberg shared. “…one of the reasons I like to jump in there with them is just so that they can see that what I’m telling them to do, that I can also do it and I can help them finish…truthfully, I do it to stay in shape too.” 

Coach Rehberg said that she likes to run alongside her athletes to stay in shape as well, but she emphasized the fact that she does it for the purpose of showing her athletes that the things she tells them to do and the techniques she’s asking them to use actually work. Coach Rehberg also elaborated more on this, saying she wants to build the team up in any way she possibly can.  

Lastly, Coach Rehberg shared some advice to anyone who may want to pursue cross-country, “Just give it a try. I know…running is what…all these other sports do in terms of like, conditioning or maybe a punishment and so, some kids can be really turned off by it.” Coach Rehberg then went on to explain why cross-country is a beneficial activity to pursue.  

“You know, it’s a good way to kind of test yourself and push yourself. Again, it’s a team sport, but it’s also very much an individual sport, so you’ve got to be confident in yourself, you’ve got to be strong.” Coach Rehberg advised. 

Perseverance is a crucial quality that all cross-country athletes must possess in order to succeed. This was reiterated when Coach Rehberg then elaborated on her previous quote, saying, “It’s just something you’ve got to stick with and stay with if you want to get better at it.”